Skip to main content

bias


I awoke at 7:41 am this past Saturday morning in order to attend a morning lecture on the subject of understanding incorporating the works of theologian Bernard Lonergan and philosopher Paul Ricoeur.  Though I arrived with pretty low expectations and a medium chai latte, the morning proved to be a provocative one.  I am going to be processing all that was brought up in the lecture/discussion for quite some time.  Let me just mention one thing here:  in the melange of Dr. James Pambrun's remarks about encounter, cognitional operations, epistemology, the multiplicity of symbols, and narrative, he lobbed in a few short sentences about bias.

Basically, he suggested that while bias can be one of the obstacles that keeps us from being open, from learning, and from maturing, it can also be a good thing.  A good bias orients us toward something to such a degree that we become committed to it, are more receptive to it, and give a great deal of attention to it.  In some way, this leaning into something (or someone) makes us belong to each other.

This week Dean and I have been talking about orientation quite a bit.  Where are we looking?  How are we positioning ourselves?  What are we really trying to accomplish here?  It is becoming clearer to me that often my goals are too small.  I am task-oriented (forgive me).  This means that I can put a lot of energy into accomplishing a challenging task, but be left with very little to show for it in the grand scheme of things.  And by grand scheme I mean noble goals such as developing and sharing important life skills, growing in maturity, and demonstrating godly character (love, patience, forgiveness, all that easy stuff).  

I am teaching a course in Christian Spirituality this term.  I love it because I love the subject (and the students are pretty cool, too).  During the course of the term, we are taking a brief look at 32 different figures throughout history in order to observe what Christian Spirituality (life by the Spirit) looks like.  Fascinating stuff.  The goal of the course is for students to develop an informed understanding of Christian Spirituality and be able to identify the values behind certain traditions.  The goal is not for them to have a good time in class, not to think I am a cool teacher, not for them to get good grades, not even for me to come up with 13 awesome powerpoint presentations that mesmerise and astound.  I could do all those things, but if the students have not come away with a good understanding of Christian Spirituality, then I have failed.  I have become dis-oriented from my goal.  I am not teaching; I am simply doing a few small tasks well, like making awesome powerpoint presentations.

Decisions are very much about orientation.  Dean and I just planned a vacation.  At first, my goal was to get away to a nice beach somewhere and not pay a lot of money for the privilege.  But I realised that this goal was inadequate.  It was not really about finding the best beach resort or the best deal or even getting a tan and drinking pina coladas.  The goal (in the grand scheme of things) was for us to have a rest, a time for re-connection, a time to not only play, but to open ourselves more fully to God and to each other through a change of pace and letting go of burdens.  We wanted to be healthier people in mind, body and spirit when we were done.  Where we went became rather immaterial when I realized that, and the vacation plans fell into place very quickly because we were now looking at options that we would not have considered otherwise.

My bias still needs some work.  Lately, I have been too biased toward doing the job right and getting the behaviour right.  That's basically working to rule (a tactict to get someone to capitulate to your demands).  Not good.  Where I really want my bias to be is towards God's goodness and love.  Yes, let me lean into the love of God, and then let me lovingly lean outward.

the photo:  these trees on Mont Sourire are biased toward the sky.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

comedic timing

Comic by Joel Micah Harris at xkcd.com One of my favourite jokes goes like this: Knock, knock. Who's there? Interrupting cow Interrupting cow w--- Moooooooo!! Timing is important in both drama and comedy. A well-paced story draws the audience in and helps it invest in the characters, while a tale too hastily told or too long drawn out will fail to engage anyone. Surprise - something which interrupts the expected - is a creative use of timing and integral to any good story. If someone is reading a novel and everything unfolds in a predictable manner, they will probably wonder why they bothered reading the book. And so it is in life. Having life be predictable all of the time is not as calming as it sounds. We love surprises, especially good surprises like birthday parties, gifts, marriage proposals, and finding something that we thought was lost. Surprises are an important part of humour. A good joke is funny because it goes to a place you didn't expect it to go. Sim

soul refrigerator

I went grocery shopping yesterday and came home with three bags of food. After I unpacked them all, this is what my fridge looked like: really empty. How does that happen? How can I feel so full and ready for any food emergency one moment, and after one quick glance, realise that I have nothing, really? Today is one of those days in my soul as well. I woke up with gratitude and fullness in my heart, ready to take on this day and all the wonderful opportunities that it presented. Then I caught a brief glance of some emptiness in my life and bam - my buoyancy was compromised. For the past few hours I have been treading water, trying to keep my head in a positive space, bobbing in and out of disappointment, and catching myself whining with pathetic indignity at the cement blocks of other people's stupidity that are tangled around my ankles. When I am staring at the empty refrigerator of my soul, these are my thoughts. Where do I go from here? Perhaps I should slam that refrigerator

Names of God

The Hebrew word "YHWH" (read from right to left) This past Sunday I gave a talk on the Names of God, the beginning of a series on this topic. This first talk was to be a gentle introduction so I thought it wouldn't take too many hours of preparation. Well, I quickly discovered that the research is almost bottomless; every time I thought I had a somewhat definitive list of names, I found another source which added a few more or gave a different twist on some of the names I had already come across. After several hours I was getting overwhelmed by the sheer amount of data (and that was only looking at the Hebrew Bible). I wondered how I could present this to people in an orderly and accessible fashion and within a reasonable time frame. Not everyone is up for a 3-hour lecture crammed full of detail on a Sunday morning. So I took a break and spent a bit of time meditating on this problem and asking the Spirit for guidance. And then I thought that being overwhelmed by Go