Skip to main content

the prodigal cat

Last night Jazz jumped out of our 4th storey bedroom window. Dean and I were doing our taxes in the office area which is right next to the bedroom when I heard a scrape and a thump, so I wandered over to the open window to see what it was. Though it was dark, I could make out a furry lump on the balcony 12 feet below me. I exclaimed, "Jazz!" and heard a worried meow in response. I rushed downstairs and opened the sliding door. Jazz streaked inside, all four legs moving quickly as she fled from the unpleasant scene of her botched escape. A typical resilient cat, she seemed none the worse for wear except for a bruised mouth from her hard landing.

Jazz is obsessed with going outside. A safe, warm, and loving home where every need is provided for doesn't quite seem to do it for her. She wants to be free! Free to sniff trees, gawk at birds, chase other cats, chew blades of grass, and roll in the dirt. Free to encounter speeding cars and big dogs and bone-chilling winters. Free to do what she wants when she wants instead of always being at the mercy of a master. Like the younger brother in the well-known parable, she has access to everything she could possibly need in our household and yet, I often find her gazing out the window at the possibility of another life, a wild life. And when she gets the chance to, she acts on that impulse, unwise as it may be.

I, too, think that freedom is my right. I hate being told what to do. I like choosing what I eat for supper. I like to decide when I wake up instead of having an alarm do that for me. I prefer to choose what I wear each day to having it regulated for me. I like to decide what I read and write and watch. I like to be the one with the remote control in my hand. I want to choose my friends instead of having people impose themselves on me. But is that really freedom? If we ask the younger son, my cat, or anyone doing whatever they please at any given moment...are they truly experiencing long-term, deep satisfaction from that freedom? I don't think so.

Doing exactly what I want loses its appeal rather quickly. I would rather accommodate my behaviour to align with the desires of someone I love, because now we can do it together. Being the queen of my time is not as grand or as productive as it might sound. I will choose to stay up really late talking to someone about important life issues or get up really early to make breakfast for house guests because I am richer for the shared experiences. If I want to do life in a meaningful and consistent way, it means that my will gets joined to others. Sometimes I like the joining and other times, I find myself chafing against the yoke, like some younger and immature son who wants it all and wants it now. When I struggle against these ties, it is not freedom that I'm longing for; it is impatient selfishness that I want to indulge in.

Freedom is jumping out of a plane safely strapped to a parachute. Freedom is doing a vigorous and graceful dance by following my partner. Freedom is the ability to say "yes" and follow through on it, no matter what it costs. Freedom is knowing that as along as I am in my Father's house, everything that is his, is mine. Freedom is running as fast as I can, the wind at my back, on the road God invites me to navigate instead of dodging traffic on a road of my own choosing.

I love freedom, but let me never forget that freedom is not free. Some think that a lot of money will buy it, but it won't. Some think that working hard and being a good person will eventually get them there, but it will always fall short. Freedom is always in relation to another. Freedom costs me my independence. It means that I freely give myself to be tied to another person in some way, because freedom is not possible outside of the tethers of love. Freedom on my own is not really freedom, it is merely floundering. Freedom is tying myself to someone who can take me places I could never get to on my own. Freedom is attaching myself to one who can make my life more beautiful than I ever could without him.

So the question is not, "Am I the master of my own destiny?" but "Am I free to give myself to love, both as a spontaneous receiver and as a generous giver?" I think if I can say yes to this, then I will never have any desire to opt out, jump out, or run away.
This is a cat we saw one winter day outside of a restaurant; he was looking to come inside.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

comedic timing

Comic by Joel Micah Harris at xkcd.com One of my favourite jokes goes like this: Knock, knock. Who's there? Interrupting cow Interrupting cow w--- Moooooooo!! Timing is important in both drama and comedy. A well-paced story draws the audience in and helps it invest in the characters, while a tale too hastily told or too long drawn out will fail to engage anyone. Surprise - something which interrupts the expected - is a creative use of timing and integral to any good story. If someone is reading a novel and everything unfolds in a predictable manner, they will probably wonder why they bothered reading the book. And so it is in life. Having life be predictable all of the time is not as calming as it sounds. We love surprises, especially good surprises like birthday parties, gifts, marriage proposals, and finding something that we thought was lost. Surprises are an important part of humour. A good joke is funny because it goes to a place you didn't expect it to go. Sim

soul refrigerator

I went grocery shopping yesterday and came home with three bags of food. After I unpacked them all, this is what my fridge looked like: really empty. How does that happen? How can I feel so full and ready for any food emergency one moment, and after one quick glance, realise that I have nothing, really? Today is one of those days in my soul as well. I woke up with gratitude and fullness in my heart, ready to take on this day and all the wonderful opportunities that it presented. Then I caught a brief glance of some emptiness in my life and bam - my buoyancy was compromised. For the past few hours I have been treading water, trying to keep my head in a positive space, bobbing in and out of disappointment, and catching myself whining with pathetic indignity at the cement blocks of other people's stupidity that are tangled around my ankles. When I am staring at the empty refrigerator of my soul, these are my thoughts. Where do I go from here? Perhaps I should slam that refrigerator

Names of God

The Hebrew word "YHWH" (read from right to left) This past Sunday I gave a talk on the Names of God, the beginning of a series on this topic. This first talk was to be a gentle introduction so I thought it wouldn't take too many hours of preparation. Well, I quickly discovered that the research is almost bottomless; every time I thought I had a somewhat definitive list of names, I found another source which added a few more or gave a different twist on some of the names I had already come across. After several hours I was getting overwhelmed by the sheer amount of data (and that was only looking at the Hebrew Bible). I wondered how I could present this to people in an orderly and accessible fashion and within a reasonable time frame. Not everyone is up for a 3-hour lecture crammed full of detail on a Sunday morning. So I took a break and spent a bit of time meditating on this problem and asking the Spirit for guidance. And then I thought that being overwhelmed by Go