Skip to main content

Need Directions?

A lot of my friends and acquaintances (and yeah, me too) seem to be at a point where they need some direction in their lives. We get to a certain point, and then we wonder...what next? We are faced with some choices and we hesitate because it is not clear which one will get us to the right place. And by the way, where were we going anyway? In a quest to offer some help to people in this area, I offered to speak on the topic at church one night (what was I thinking?). I had no idea what I could do or say to bring clarity in the area of guidance, so I asked God about it. The next thing I knew I was reading the story of Abram and Sarah in Genesis 12 - 25 and here are the points I came up with. Maybe you will see yourself in a few of them.

1. God gives a general invitation to be a blessing, to make something of your life. (Genesis 12:1-3)
Condition to move onto the next step: You must leave your comfort zone, you cannot rely on yourself.

2. God gives you a glimpse of the possibilities - WOW! The things ahead will totally blow your mind! (Genesis 13:14-17)
Condition to see it happen: Start to walk in it, do it, practice it, even though you have not arrived and it is not yours yet.

3. Inevitably, once you step into the arena of faith, war and discouragement and conflict arise! (Genesis 14 and 15)
Condition to stick it out and win: Fear not! Turn the other cheek. (Genesis 15:1-6)

4. Sometimes it all seems to be going awry, so we try to take things into our own hands and end up going the WRONG WAY! What if you get off track? (Genesis 16)
Condition to get back in the game: Resist the tempation to "help" God by manipulating circumstances. Repent if you get off course. It does not disqualify you.

5. Change of Identity. You stop defining yourself by who you think you are, or who others think you are, or even by your list of achievements and failures and you start to refer to yourself as the person that God sees when he looks at you. You let God rename you. (Genesis 17:5-10)
Condition: Let God mark you, even in the sensitive, private area of identity.

6. Nothing seems to change for a long time, so we lose hope. (Genesis 18:14)
Condition to get past this stage: Don't get cynical, do not lose your compassion. Is anything too hard or too wonderful for the Lord?

7. Others get the very thing God promised you! How unfair! (Genesis 20:17)
Condition: Never compare, don't get jealous, pray for blessing for others, and genuinely be happy when they get it.

8. YES! AT LAST! God does what he promised to do at the set time! (Genesis 21:1-2; Isaiah 40:31)
Condition to seeing it all come true: Wait on the Lord! Hold tight to him.

I am not saying that everything has to happen in this order, but you will probably see all of these at some point in your life. It was most encouraging for me to see how time and obstacles and wrong choices and bad attitudes and family dynamics and faith all mixed together in the life of Abraham and in the end, it was the faithfulness of God that mattered, not man's attempts at getting it right.

If He said He would do it, you can count on it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Names of God

The Hebrew word "YHWH" (read from right to left) This past Sunday I gave a talk on the Names of God, the beginning of a series on this topic. This first talk was to be a gentle introduction so I thought it wouldn't take too many hours of preparation. Well, I quickly discovered that the research is almost bottomless; every time I thought I had a somewhat definitive list of names, I found another source which added a few more or gave a different twist on some of the names I had already come across. After several hours I was getting overwhelmed by the sheer amount of data (and that was only looking at the Hebrew Bible). I wondered how I could present this to people in an orderly and accessible fashion and within a reasonable time frame. Not everyone is up for a 3-hour lecture crammed full of detail on a Sunday morning. So I took a break and spent a bit of time meditating on this problem and asking the Spirit for guidance. And then I thought that being overwhelmed by Go

comedic timing

Comic by Joel Micah Harris at xkcd.com One of my favourite jokes goes like this: Knock, knock. Who's there? Interrupting cow Interrupting cow w--- Moooooooo!! Timing is important in both drama and comedy. A well-paced story draws the audience in and helps it invest in the characters, while a tale too hastily told or too long drawn out will fail to engage anyone. Surprise - something which interrupts the expected - is a creative use of timing and integral to any good story. If someone is reading a novel and everything unfolds in a predictable manner, they will probably wonder why they bothered reading the book. And so it is in life. Having life be predictable all of the time is not as calming as it sounds. We love surprises, especially good surprises like birthday parties, gifts, marriage proposals, and finding something that we thought was lost. Surprises are an important part of humour. A good joke is funny because it goes to a place you didn't expect it to go. Sim

soul refrigerator

I went grocery shopping yesterday and came home with three bags of food. After I unpacked them all, this is what my fridge looked like: really empty. How does that happen? How can I feel so full and ready for any food emergency one moment, and after one quick glance, realise that I have nothing, really? Today is one of those days in my soul as well. I woke up with gratitude and fullness in my heart, ready to take on this day and all the wonderful opportunities that it presented. Then I caught a brief glance of some emptiness in my life and bam - my buoyancy was compromised. For the past few hours I have been treading water, trying to keep my head in a positive space, bobbing in and out of disappointment, and catching myself whining with pathetic indignity at the cement blocks of other people's stupidity that are tangled around my ankles. When I am staring at the empty refrigerator of my soul, these are my thoughts. Where do I go from here? Perhaps I should slam that refrigerator